Re: [OM] So close...

Subject: Re: [OM] So close...
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2018 10:53:09 -0900
> Bill is right. So you can buy the A7r II or A7(r) III now with a clean
> conscience ;-).
> > Sometimes the Universe has a way of saving us from ourselves, and other
> > times, not so much. Bill "Full Frame Sony" Barber

You guys are right. I'll need to chew on this (gum).

I've spent a lot of quality time with the new Canon R, as well as the
various SONY models. I really do like several key aspects of the
Canon, but feel more at home with the SONY. The viewfinder is
definitely better in the Canon (except for video mode--jitters). The
Canon grip shape is infinitely better. But the general handling just
isn't there. It's like Canon had decided to merge the worst aspects of
the EOS ethos with the worst aspects of the G series and proceeded to
throw out anything even remotely sensible. While not horrible, it
definitely feels like they stuffed a 306HP engine in a Honda Civic and
tried calling it a sports car. Horsepower and fake carbon-fiber trim
doesn't a sports car make. It doesn't matter how many "R" badges you
glue on it, it's still not a sports car. It's an econo-throw-away-box
with fancy paint colors. The Canon R is just like that. Right now,
it's an awesome sensor (big engine) in a camera body that has no clue
what it wants to be.

The SONY handling (and menu system) is very familiar to me and the
user interface is more 2-dimensional with plenty of programmable
buttons and dials. You don't have to go dumpster (menu) diving every
time you want to switch between modes or find that one function that
you use all the time. It's nice to see that the Minolta engineers
still rule the day. This is just a fancy, grown-up version of the old
Minolta A1. The way the mode dial works is almost still exactly like
it was with the A1--which is, in my opinion, still best of breed. And
there is no mistaking the Olympus influence.

Back to my corner. I'll sit on my hands and wait. It's not that I
really lack anything anyway. It's just a "want" thing. Besides, the A7
IV should be due in another month.

AG Schnozz