Re: [OM] OT: American Oddities

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: American Oddities
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2019 13:04:40 -0800
> From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Moose said: " but frequent crossers on land get a Passport Card that can be
> scanned as they cross without stopping."
>
> I have both Sentri and Global Pass clearance and card, as well as a regular
> passport card and a chipped passport. Is there's some card that's higher
> level than those?

The original question was apparently about the WA-BC border, no?

WA State has an "extended" (or "enhanced?" not certain what the "E" is for)
driver license that allows you to go between WA and BC via car, foot, or boat
without a passport. When you get your EDL, you must present a valid US Passport.

Another program is the US-Canada "NEXUS" Pass. It's $50 for five years, and you
have to go to a specified location that has both US and Canadian officials,
during business hours, where you get fingerprinted and present a valid passport
for either country.

The NEXUS card is not a replacement for a passport, but rather a passport
enhancement. You can cross the border with just it, but they may ask to see
your passport, as well. It is good between anywhere in the US and anywhere in
Canada, for car, foot, or boat only, BUT at least for the Vancouver BC airport,
you can use the card to "cut the line" at airport security to a special
checkpoint where they don't even make you take your shoes off! It's good for at
least 1/2 hour less time in line. At highway crossings, there is also a special
"NEXUS Lane" that saves you at least 1/2 hour of waiting, too.

Neither of these are useful unless you live in the area, or otherwise cross the
border frequently.

Jan