Re: [OM] OT: American Oddities

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: American Oddities
From: john hudson <om4t@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2019 20:47:37 -0400
In my uninformed opinion, by far the best credentials for an easy USA /
Canadian border crossing are: middle / upper middle age [or older]; Caucasian
skin, short hair, an uncrowded vehicle, no sign of nervousness or agitation,
and no sign of being intoxicated, high or happy. When we lived in the south
central part of BC a lady we knew was a retired Canadian customs border control
office who told us that they were supremely well trained in recognizing body
language and could pick out miscreants as easily as identifying a $3 bill. This
seemed to play out when we recently crossed the St Stephen, New Brunswick /
Calais, Maine border. Is was as easy and un-stressful as smiling at the greeter
in our local Walmart. Likewise coming back into Canada. We've been through the
Surrey, Peace Arch BC / Blaine, WA crossing any number of time and again the
same easy passage. IMHO, these so called enhanced border crossing facilities
are for the nervous at heart.

jh