Re: [OM] 25mm lens choice

Subject: Re: [OM] 25mm lens choice
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2019 22:31:49 -0800
On 1/7/2019 9:15 PM, Bill Pearce wrote:
File this under close but no cigar:
I have the original Panasonic 20mm. It had some problem that the internet trolls
made into abig think, so it was replaced by the 20..II version, but I'm so happy
with mine I didn't bother to upgrade. I'm quite happy with my flaed version, and
recommend it highly. Order one from KEH or B&H and shoot a bit and if your's
has a fatal flaw, just send back and get the newer version. Otherwise take the
savings and get some good wine.

The II version is just a cosmetic change to fit their later visual taste. The "fatal flaw" is slow AF, which never bothered me with my version I. Just today, I tried it and the Oly 25 on a GX9. Yeah, it seems a little slower, but only by a tiny bit, and only 'cause I was looking. I'm good.

Here's Mike J's plea to Panny for faster AF on TOP. <https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2018/11/an-open-letter-to-panasonic.html>

In the running for the cutest lens ever is the Panny 14/2.5, esp. with the inverted hood AndrewF pointed us to. Optically excellent.

I know you want a 25, but, I never liked a 50, and when I got my first good
camera, it was a Nikon F with 35mm. When I moved to Oly, I used the 28 mot of
all. Then I got a Contax G2 which had not a 50 but a 40 or 45. I've only had a
few lenses I thought were truly dismal, the Nikkor 43-86
There were two or three versions. The first was Baaaad; don't know about later ones. The Oly 35-70 was a revelation after it.
and the Oly 35/2,

Huh, mine seems fine, but I haven't used it much, nor in ages. I was more a 28 mm guy. An ex listee posted many fine shots with this particular one, and I have at least one nice print.

Slow Hand Moose