Re: [OM] ls-4000 resurrected

Subject: Re: [OM] ls-4000 resurrected
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 01:32:36 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
<<This list is expensive as I just purchased a CV 40/1.2 prompted by Mike
<<Gordon's comment.

Yikes, didn't mean to cost you a bundle.  The lens has its faults but is a
careful compromise.

As summarized by Fred on FM:

          "I really like this lens but it’s not for everyone.

           The CV 40/1.2 is a lens with distinctive character at wider
apertures. There is residual spherical aberration and below average color
correction for both lateral and axial CA. There is some field curvature and
focus shift is definitely an issue if not shooting at working
aperture. At mid distance, it's sharp even wide open at center with a
noticeable fall-off towards the mid-field and corners until about f/1.7. Out of
focus transition zone is a bit harsh and double-lining is bothersome.

 Coma is not well controlled at wider apertures but that's expected. It's great
at f/2.5 and outstanding at f/2.8 though.
 Specular highlights show some outlining and onion pattern and cat-eyes are
present from mid-field to edges until about f/2. There is very slight
pincushion distortion.

 As I see it, Voigtlander designed two lenses in one: It's a character lens
with under-corrected color and spherical aberrations from f/1.2 until about one
stop down. Its optical design gives us a compact f/1.2 lens capable of very
pleasant out of focus rendering. At f/2.8 and smaller apertures, it acts as a
modern lens, capable of high resolution, contrast and color correction.
 By f/4, it's as good as it gets across the field and stepping down further
does not significantly improve resolution except for the very corners which
still benefit slightly from f/5.6. (optimum). I would not hesitate using this
lens for landscapes starting at f/5.6.

 On the positive side, it's capable of smooth rendering even at mid-distances
and that's rare for a small fast lens. It also focuses very close and that
combined with the f/1.2 aperture, it just melts the background away. The CV
40/1.2 is capable of high contrast images even at wide apertures. That's when
you know you are shooting with a modern lens.

 The 40mm focal length may seem odd at first but in fact it's very practical.
Basically, it acts as a normal lens that allows the environment to interact a
bit more with the subject, just like when you’re shooting with a 35mm lens.
It's a great one-lens solution.

 Just like with other Voigtlander lenses, the 10-straight aperture blades yield
beautiful sunstar rendering. It’s possible to get defined 10-point sunstars
starting at f/2.8!

 Flare is also well-controlled even though I still see minor ghosting and
veiling in some of my images. I’d say flare resistance is very good on this
Nokton.

 Finally, the biggest plus: Size. There were optical compromises to develop a
small and light f/1.2 lens but Voigtlander succeeded creating a lens capable of
lovely rendering. It's also an E-mount native, so expect to see all the bells
and whistles like EXIF transmission, focus auto-magnification, auto-IBIS as
well as aperture de-clicking for video work.

 Voigtlander knows it has something unique with the CV 40/1.2 and priced it
accordingly. It renders a special look being moderately wide while capable of
high amount of blur.
 One can get a lens capable of similar or higher blur but it won't match its
combination of IQ, wide focal length and size. On top of that one gets full
Sony E-mount native electronics."

Don't forget about the focus shift.  If trying to focus in low light and
shooting at mid apertures use F2.8 to focus as stated in review.  The review
stated the handling is "gorgeous" and must agree.

Oh, the CV 15/4,5 is small and nice but subject to MUCH sample variation with
soft corners.  If you get a good copy it is great.  CV lenses usually are
pretty good in QA but the whole industry needs an upgrade for these high res
sensors.  Sonnie was terrible until the GM series.
MFT lenses are notoriously variable and no way to adjust.  One manufacturer is
reportedly working with Roger at Lensrentals to come up some solutions with
more adjustments added so can be fixed post production in a cost effective
manner.
If a lens is not up to snuff, it is cheaper to throw out.  It is not reassuring
to know what they ship as "up to spec."

Enjoy the lens,
Mike