Re: [OM] ls-4000 resurrected - now 40/1.2

Subject: Re: [OM] ls-4000 resurrected - now 40/1.2
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 20:12:20 -0700
Not sure I'm the greatest at testing out a lens. I was trying to see if the
40/1.2 had focus shift. If it does, I can't see it with the Sony focus peaking.
I'm not sure I understand what in the optics causes focus shift with aperture.

I think the real use of this lens is fast open with centered subject and all
the rest blurs. Such as the examples in this thread:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1512530/4

I will look more closely at this long topic.

Here is a shot at 1.2 of Sookie.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f130fbn71z6xwdc/DSC00604.JPG?dl=0

And another where I just missed the focus. F1.2 has a very narrow plane.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ac7vi8gml3oap9r/DSC00603.JPG?dl=0
You can see zoomed in the eyes are slightly blurry while some of the fur is in
focus.

And this F1.2 shot is focused just in front of Sookie.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zggzbxl9rj3b65a/DSC00614.JPG?dl=0

Here is Sookie at F5.6
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wbkqsooe9032kz4/DSC00612.JPG?dl=0

This is a test shot at 1.2 focused on the wall on other side of the pool.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jwidvhseo558kt7/DSC00608.JPG?dl=0

Clearly this lens requires proper handling. I am learning. So far I can't fault
the lens. Focus Peaking in the camera can often be distracting. Zoom in
focusing distracting as well. I still miss a good optical finder.

WayneS