[OM] Pay / banking apps questions

Subject: [OM] Pay / banking apps questions
From: Mike Lazzari via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 13:06:42 -0800
Cc: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Question for travelers, especially UK and Europe. Last time we went to UK was 5 years ago and we didn't bother with getting a new SIM. Just used email and it worked fine. In the last 5 years phones seem to be taking over the world so we will definitely be bringing a phone and plan on getting an O2 SIM. I have a new dual SIM model so I can switch back and forth without farting around changing them on the plane. The question I have is how important and/or convenient is it to pay with a phone app? e.g. scan when boarding the train or pay for a taxi. Seems like it would be way more convenient. And which apps are used? Google Pay is pretty ubiquitous around here and I use Paypal too. Also have to set up remote banking as I have to keep up with work while on the road but that is a separate issue.

We're pretty much 20th Century around here so advice and suggestions welcomed.