Re: [OM] OT: not quite

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: not quite
From: Frank <wijsmuller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 14:35:36 +0100
How unfortunate to have your gear stolen, I hope you were still able to
make some fine pictures. Your trip sounds amazing, and I look forward to
see some pictures.

I run both m43 (mainly Olympus) and Sony FF systems, and for me this works
OK:

My Olympus camera's mostly get action on holidays, in (expected) humid
weather conditions, for macro work (focus stacking!) and on longer hikes.
On holidays, I add my old(er) A7 with some OM primes or the 35-80.

For smaller visits, day outings and projects/ assignments, I use the Sony
A7R2 with various MF lenses, mostly Olympus OM. Its resolution and IQ are
not matched by m43. I am not troubled by its ergonomics or user interface,
but I think Olympus is better in that respect.

I recently acquired the 16-35mm/4 for the Sony, which is a very nice and
convenient landscape lens. My impression is that my f2 Zuiko's in its range
are no match for this lens, below f4 (and mostly f8).

I'd say you still have a very nice holiday and relatively light kit from
Olympus left. I'd add a A7R3 with a wide-angle zoom and would replace the
m43 wide angle zoom with a pro prime. And then find out if that is enough.

I understand the attraction of a lighter camera when age is in the
equation. However the weight of an A7R3 with 16-35mm/4 is actually slightly
below the e-m1 II with 7-14mm/2.8. And I actually prefer the range of the
first lens, and I'd like to avoid a bulbous front element on holidays.

For me the rational thing to do is to leave more stuff at home if I think
the weight becomes a problem. If the weight of the stuff you 'need' to take
with you becomes a burden, it is time for different options. But only then
;-).

Hope this helps, good luck with your (hard) decisions.