Re: [OM] Enhance Details

Subject: Re: [OM] Enhance Details
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2019 09:44:38 -0900
> I read on some Dr. Expert website, don't remember which, that this effect is
> only visible viewed on a monitor at 100%. To me that seems like examining a
> billboard with a magnifier.

That would depend on the size of the image file. An E-1 image has only
5MP, whereas the typical camera of insanity today has something like
30-50MP. There certainly is a point of diminishing returns as any form
of pixel-level detail is completely gone by the time it is presented
in final output format.

What you do gain, however, with this tool is a sharpening effect that
makes a lot of sense with our zillion-pixel cameras that are shot at
higher ISOs. At base ISO all cameras are pretty much at best-possible,
in terms of sharpness across the entire brightness spectrum. However,
at higher ISOs, there is significant loss of detail in the shadows and
in certain types of random patterns, such as foliage. They usually do
an excellent job of maintaining edge detail in the shadows, but
everything else turns to mush. I did a quick look at a canon file and
it appears that this tool does demush the mush. The edges of the trees
are no different, but the details (both perceived and real) within the
trees are better.

I am a firm believer in pixel-peeping. It's part of my process of
maximizing the quality of the file. However, I don't let that get in
the way of allowing a less than perfect picture make its way to final
output. A good picture is a good picture regardless of pixel-level
perfection.

At this time, I'm having to keep SilkyPix around just to convert the
occasional DMC-L1 image because of the pattern noise. I was hoping
this update would address that, but it doesn't.

AG Schnozz