Re: [OM] Pretty Pictures

Subject: Re: [OM] Pretty Pictures
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 11:57:23 -0800
On 2/23/2019 1:47 AM, ChrisB wrote:
I like them as well,

Thanks!

Philippe, but I don’t see the underexposure; I know that the EXIF shows -1EV etc . . . but they don’t look dark. I often have -0.7EV set on my cameras but I normally adjust back up again.

Shooting the "normal" holiday snap, many landscapes, most shots by most of us, exposure is straightforward. Where dynamic range is greater than the camera can capture, and/or where the subject differs greatly in brightness from other elements, the exposure the camera "sees" may be far from correct. I almost always use the default metering in most contemporary cameras, all descended from Oly OM ESP metering, I think, but center weighted and spot are available. But I then freely use the EV dial to adjust to taste.

In this series, I ranged from -1/3 EV to -2 1/3 EV.

Here's an example where the 'correct' exposure for my subject was more than -4 EV below the camera metering. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Dynamics/DR&EV.htm>

And as I already said, I regularly lower brightness of backgrounds and 'punch up' subjects in post, for richer color and greater subject separation.

Moody Moose