Re: [OM] OM Battery Pack 2 NiCad flat pack how do I take the damn thing

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Battery Pack 2 NiCad flat pack how do I take the damn thing apart
From: Jan Steinman <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 08:16:34 -0800
> From: Mark Kronquist <mak@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>>
>
> I want to replace the aged NiCads with similar ones from Batteries Plus but
> how the heck do I dissect the dang thing

Are you talking about modern digital batteries, or ones in the film camera
motor drives? (The reason I ask is that Mark is a film guy.)

Modern ones are lithium, and their plastic cases are generally welded shut.
You’ll end up destroying the case in taking them apart.

On the other hand, the old OM NiCd packs easily come apart with screws. The
internal packs use spot-welded connections, though. You will need solder-tab
NiCd cells, and there is not much room in there for excessive solder!

So if this is a lithium battery for a modern digital camera, I agree with
Nathan: just replace the whole pack.

And if it’s for an OM motor drive pack, I don’t mean to sound insulting, but if
you can’t figure out how to get it apart, you probably don’t have the skills to
repair it once it’s apart.

Jan