[OM] Scenery Change - Somewhat

Subject: [OM] Scenery Change - Somewhat
From: Bob Benson <bob.benson91@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 09:29:07 -0600
In responding to AG's comments about possibly a new camera  ...

As you may know, I experienced a camera theft at the beginning of the
Santiago - to - Ushaia (argentina) road trip.  I did have (since I was
holding it at the time) an Oly but no other  batteries / power supplies,
(also stolen, not replaceable in the middle of Chile)  so had only about 80
pics available on the in-camera battery.  Was able to buy a Sony a7 with
kit lens.

The point is I now have a limited experience (80 pics on Oly, lots on the
Sony) in comparing/contrasting the experience with the two systems.  Keep
in mind I'm a landscape guy so I don't worry about video or studio work,
etc. (As I've posted before,  I now have the insurance proceeds to either
re-invest in the Oly or start over, perhaps with Sony.)  Some of my
observations are model-specific - early A7 not the R or iii.  And kit lens
- 24-70 - is probably plastic.

1.  EVF oddly Oly much easier/brighter., at least to my eyes.
2.  IQ.  Oly takes a bit more tweaking on LR.   Afterwards, can't tell
difference.  Even at the 20x30 print size.
3.  The Sony kit lens is light (plastic ?).  And the A7 is small.  So not
much to choose from in terms of weight.  I had (it was not stolen) the Oly
12-100 so that added weight.
4.  Felt *much *better in hand with the Oly in the field.  Combination of
brightness and I must admit the quality of the 12-100.
5.  Battery.  The Oly was pretty remarkable (the new bigger one on the
MK2).  Sony is in-camera rechargeable;  wasn't able to buy a second battery
so this was a bit of a constraint.

I was, frankly, expecting an "ah ha" with the FF experience with Sony.
With landscape I didn't find that.  That is,  I had expected to see
something of a "wow" factor.  Nada.   Might be lens related though.

In short, I have no guidance for my personal decision (per above.)   Might
come down to hoping for something wonderful in the Oly MK3 directions --
the M1X is compelling but huge.

Bob