Re: [OM] IMG: My First Panorama - The Flight Line

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: My First Panorama - The Flight Line
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 17:13:20 -0800
Cc: Olympus Camera Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Here’s a nice planetoid tutorial:

https://ultrawide.wordpress.com/2008/11/20/how-to-create-a-little-planet-using-hugin/

<https://ultrawide.wordpress.com/2008/11/20/how-to-create-a-little-planet-using-hugin/>

I recommend full manual, using HDR. Hugin (open source, free, but somewhat
nerdly) will even do the HDR for you, but I’ve been using the E-M1.2’s built-in
HDR.

Also, use manual white balance. In my first attempt, I left it on auto, which
was okay for the 360, but when I did the nadir, the grass ended up having a
distinctively different colour. If it hadn’t been a “gray card” sky, the zenith
probably would have been off, too.

Planetoids really benefit from using a calibrated tripod head. I’ve done “swing
and pray” panos, but when using a wide-angle lens with foreground and
background, you NEED to do a proper nodal alignment. The tutorial I linked
above does not explain that. A decent approximation is to rotate around the
front element of your lens, but to be precise, you need to align a near object
with a far object on one side of the scene, then rotate to put them on the
other side of the scene. They will change their alignment; move the camera back
and forth until they are in alignment on both sides of the screen when you
rotate.

Either that, or don’t do panos with foreground and background. :-)

Jan