Re: [OM] OT: New Internet Threat???

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: New Internet Threat???
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2019 17:36:54 -0900
> >     I commonly see a lot of connections to amazonaws, and I somehow get the
> > impression that they provide product images for other sites.

> No. Those are paid cloud services. You can generally block them with no ill
> effect, if you don’t want an application reporting anything to The Mother
> Ship. (Unless, of course, it’s an application whose purpose is cloud
> computing, like sharing databases among devices, etc.)

I think we may have a little misunderstanding of amazonaws. In itself,
there is nothing inherently evil. I have set up cloud servers on both
Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure. It's actually very nice to be able to
scale according to need. Depending on how much you want to spend, it
can be fully dedicated, virtual or even a seamless expansion of your
own server environment.

On a cost-per byte basis, it's both more expensive and less expensive
than rolling your own server farm. The major advantage is that it
fully scales in a way that doesn't require capital outlay, or
disposal. It scales both upward and downward.

Unfortunately, the creeps of the world use amazonaws.

AG Schnozz