[OM] OM date codes, factories?

Subject: [OM] OM date codes, factories?
From: Jan Steinman <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2019 11:40:59 -0800
I’ve been working on a database of Olympus OM date codes I’ve seen, and was
wondering if anyone had any insight into the two-character factory codes.

I’ve Googled and searched this list’s archives and the ESIF, with just a hint
that the “TN” that shows up on many newer things stood for Tatsuno, Hyōgo. All
but two of my OM lenses came from “TN”, from 1988-09 to 1995-10.

I’ve also got an older 55/1.2 (1977-11) that has “S7Y” under the focus ring,
but have no idea what factory “S” would be.

(I also have an “M-System” 180/2.8 with the focus ring cement still in good
shape, and I don’t want to peel it back. It seems to be quite rare, as it is
not mentioned in the lists of “M-System” lenses.)

I think I have the two-character date codes figured out. (Anyone want my MySQL
function? It’s just two CASE statements.)

Any ideas about factory codes? Any other examples out there?

Thanks!

Jan