[OM] "Near Mint" now includes fungus and haze, no extra charge!

Subject: [OM] "Near Mint" now includes fungus and haze, no extra charge!
From: Jan Steinman <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 10:47:19 -0400
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/183729583879

I was watching this sucker (#101306) in Yahoo Auctions Japan. It was listed for
200,000 yen, about US $1,800. I tried several times to offer less, but never
got an answer. I thought it must be Google Translate issues, so I even had a
Japanese friend hand-translate my offer before my last attempt, last October.
Still no answer.

Weep for the mutilated. Butchered with a Canon FD mount, “fungus cleaned” some
time ago, leaving visible marks. The Google translation of its condition
mentioned “cut nails” (screws?). Hazy looking in the photos, but still "Ultra
Rare Near Mint+3!” (So “Near Mint+2” must be the KEH “UG” equivalent!)

It’s gone from $1,800 to $4,500, in one transaction!

Last I checked, John Hermanson had a front element for this. That was the basis
for my interest at the time. The one in the evilBay photo looks like a spider’s
nest.

I’d be wary of ANYTHING coming out of Japan these days. I suspect we’re seeing
a lot of things dug out of the Fukushima tsunami rubble, with severe fungus
issues.

Jan