Re: [OM] topaz sharpen AI

Subject: Re: [OM] topaz sharpen AI
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 12:02:14 -0700
On 3/15/2019 11:18 AM, Piers Hemy wrote:
I don't use Focus Magic (although I think I looked at it years ago) but I know that one
listee uses it extensively, and gets halfway decent results despite his representing
"the largest and heaviest extant species in the Deer family" if I may
plagiarise Wikipedia.

Ah, the wonderful bath of faint praise! ;-)

BTW, FocusMagic went through a major change with ver. 8, slightly changed interface and supposed under the hood improvements.

Another major contender, in terms of results, is the combination of PRIME Raw NR  and Lens Sharpening (based on their own, proprietary, lens profiling) in the DxO PhotoLab Raw converter. Not a stand-alone, not a plug-in; you need the whole PL app. Also,  the NR part is only applicable when doing Raw conversion. They have another NR in PL for JPEGs, TIFFs, etc.

I mention it because, in my apparently unending test/experiments with Raw converters, NR and sharpening, it's running neck and neck with a combination of NeatImage and AI Sharpen for first place.

Large Artiodactyla Ungulate