Re: [OM] topaz sharpen AI

Subject: Re: [OM] topaz sharpen AI
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 18:30:22 -0700
My bad. I re-read CTain based on Mike's question AND CTein talks about AI
Clear, not AI Sharpen. So my apologies for my confusion. Here is the link:

https://topazlabs.com/ai-clear/

"Sharpen AI is the first sharpening and shake reduction software that can tell
difference between real detail and noise."

AI Clear

"With one click, A.I. Clear detects and removes noise while sharpening the
details in you images."

This is what CTein was reviewing.

WayneS

At 3/15/2019 12:35 PM, Moose wrote:

>On 3/15/2019 8:31 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
>>Topaz Studio is free and will run all their addons. When you run from PS or
>>Lightroom, it opens the image in Topaz Studio anyway.
>
>All true - but - AI Gigapixel is not an add-on - to anything. It only runs
>"free standing". Everything else runs under Topaz Studio.
>
>I didn't mention speed when commenting on AI Sharpen. It's slow, almost
>painfully slow on a full size image file from a 20 MP camera.

It is slow, but not so bad on my computer. I don't know if it takes advantage
of the graphics card. How slow is painful? My images were 24mP from A7iii.

I'm curious if you have used the free Sharplet PS plugin from Redfield? The AI
Sharpen seems good for some common camera issues, like motion blur, ...
However, I tried it with a flower closeup and it did not do any better than the
sharplet plugin.

I admit my sharpen tests have been minimal.

>Also, I'm finding that it's not a great option for re-sharpening images after
>down sampling for web display. I still prefer FocusMagic.
>
>OTOH, AI Gigapixel has become faster with updates. With a reasonably powerful
>graphics card, it's now actually pretty speedy. I'm hoping that refinements to
>AI Sharpen will speed it up, too.

Someday I may try AI Gigapixel. Right now I'm just getting back to PS, much to
the detriment of my consulting work project.

Wayne S