Re: [OM] IMG: 200mm Bird Images

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: 200mm Bird Images
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2019 21:07:55 -0700
On 3/16/2019 4:50 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
Moose,

To start out, I was not really trying to do a lens comparison.  I had recently been shooting a 200mm Takumar on the E-1, because I happen to like the Kodak sensor.

Perfectly clear in your original post.

Yes, it's only 5MP.  But, for my purposes it works Ok.  I mentioned to a friend that the 200 FL was nice, but it sure would be nice to have AF.  He mentioned the 50-200, so I researched it and bought one.

A sensible thing to do, and, again, clear in your post. I've just spent a few non-quality minutes peering through an E-1 VF in moderate light. I'd go for AF for sure.

I had the lens for about 3 hours when I took the picture I posted, obviously a mistake, because I had not really learned how to configure the camera and lens properly.  Rather than depending on "program", I needed to pick a proper shutter speed and let another variable float.  My apologies for taking up your time with this.

It's all grist for the mill. I have control over my choice of things to wonder about and perhaps research. And besides, you didn't do anything. Threads here wander about. At least a couple of folks here fire off posts apparently without fully reading what they are responding to. Perfectly understandable misunderstandings may send a thread shooting off in unexpected directions.

In this case, the comparison of MF to AF wandered off into lens IQ comparison. I was curious, suspecting what experimentation confirmed. As I had E-1, E-M5 II and 14-54 right here, it was easy to compare. I've used the HR mode of the E-M5 II to do quite a bit of lens testing. It's always shown that µ4/3 lenses considerably out-resolve the non-HR sensor system, so I'm not surprised that it's true of at least the better 4/3 systems lenses.

As to the AF response to a moving airplane or parachute, I have had similar difficulties with my Fuji gear, so it's not an E-1 problem alone.

As you later noted, the E-1 not as bad as you thought. That sort of focusing is a performance feature of some cameras, the Pro Canikons, E-M1X, etc. The E-M5 II would do fine with that subject, but is pretty useless with flying birds. The Panny GX9 is supposed to be somewhat better at focus tracking - don't know yet.

I only have one other 4/3 body, an E-510, and it has only 10MP, which doesn't help much, but also has a CMOS sensor, which has advantages, but not in color quality when compared to the CCD of the E-1.  One of the main reasons I went to the E-1 is the robustness of the body, when dealing with heavy lenses.  This is not really a problem with the 50-200, but was a concern with my 200 Takumar.

I suspect you would enjoy an E-400, 10 MP Kodak CCD, somewhat more compact, but still sturdy. Never marketed in the US. They had to go CMOS to make Live View work.

Let's forget about this misbegotten comparison.  I would delete the image, but there are a few folks that always look at posts about 2 weeks after everyone else, and would require an explanation as to where the image went.

Not to worry, certainly not on my account. :-)

By the way, I also have several uncirculated sequential $2 bills in my bank box.  They appear to make nice subjects for resolution tests.

I've become quite familiar with Tom Jefferson recently. ;-)

I. Q. Moose