Re: [OM] IMGS: Dredging Rocks Colors

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: Dredging Rocks Colors
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2019 15:01:45 -0700
On 3/17/2019 7:53 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
PESO:

I'm now working on the color versions of the B&W rock photos that I posted
earlier.  My time on the MM camera was set a day earlier than my SL so
those came up first.  On this one, I thought the version straight out of
the camera had a distracting background:

https://pbase.com/tinamanley/image/168928466

So I desaturated the colors in the background a little bit:

https://pbase.com/tinamanley/image/168928458

Yes or no??

Other than making the "42" sign look unnatural, the difference is so tiny I can't see it makes a difference. In fact, I wasn't sure I could see a difference, until I stacked them in PS and flipped the top layer on and off. Verrrry subtle.

I prefer the look we are all used to, creating subject separation with shallow DoF. I simulated that here using PS tool Lens Blur on a layer with a graduated mask, so the blur increases with distance. I applied extra blur to the sign. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Manley/Dredging_Rocks.htm>

Pretend you shot a fast 50 mm, wide open. :-)

Selectively Blurry Moose