Re: [OM] Aspect ratio micro-quandary

Subject: Re: [OM] Aspect ratio micro-quandary
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 12:29:36 -0700
On 3/27/2019 9:34 AM, Michael R. Collins wrote:
From my OM days (1976+) through my E-1/E-3 days, my aspect ratio has always
been 3:2.

But, tired of lugging around an E-3 + 12-60 + 50-200 when out and about, I’ve just sprung for a Panasonic G9 and an Olympus 14-150 f4/5.6 superzoom. (Many thanks for many opinions expressed on this list - spent days sifting through and considering how to resolve conflicting opinions.)

Did I miss this? Don't recall. I swapped my Oly 14-150 for a Panny 14-140 for the OIS on GM5 and for Dual IS on G/GX series with IBIS. Can't see anything to choose between them optically. Both are soft at closest focus at their long ends. Both work very well with an Old Oly "B-Macro H.Q. Converter f=40cm" achromatic C-U lens for long working distance macro.

Thinking that this is The Camera For The Rest Of My Life, though not sure it will last an anticipated 20-30 years. Played with it for a day, like the feel, will get a better idea over the next three weeks in Japan.

So... native 4:3, or lose some 200 pixels top and bottom and stay in my comfortable 3:2 world? The camera is happy either way. What have you other 4:3 and Micro 4:3 adopters done?

I'm with Frank on this one. I went from 35 mm film to 3:2 APS-C to 3:2 FF digital to 4:3 µ4/3 and never asked myself this question. I always have shot using the full film/sensor frame, and chosen format/ratio afterward, to fit the subject.

I have, 4:3, 3:2, 4:5, 16:9, their inversions and 1:1 presets in Crop,  use them all, and occasionally a non standard form. 4:3 is most used, followed I'd guess , by 3:2 and 4:5. My motto is NEVER throw away a Raw pixel. :-)

P.S. Gimmicks like “world time” setting and travel start/end dates. Hardly an earth-shaking feature, but a nice touch; when I land at Haneda it will just be “right”, without me having to think.

Just set that on my GX 9s. Nice, as I "always" forget for the first day or two. Seems we'll be in Asia for about the same three weeks? We head for Bangkok, on the way to Bhutan, 50 mins. into Sunday.

Have a great trip!

Travelin' Moose