Re: [OM] [was: Aspect ratio micro-quandary] Asia travel

Subject: Re: [OM] [was: Aspect ratio micro-quandary] Asia travel
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 15:31:09 -0700

   On 2019-03-27 4:01 p.m., Moose wrote:

     The Paro airport is only served by the tiny Royal Druk (Dragon)
     Airline, so one must go through Bangkok, Delhi or other lesser
     cities to get there. Bangkok is the best way.

   On my 2011 trip, it was also Druk Air from Bangkok, with a brief stop
   at an airport in India (Gaya, if I recall correctly).

     DATE FLIGHT DEPARTURE AIRPORT ARRIVAL AIRPORT TIME CLASS BAG

     05NOV KB 123 BKK-SUVARNABHUMI - BAN PBH-PARO, BHUTAN 0720 Y -OK K

     18NOV KB 122 PBH-PARO, BHUTAN BKK-SUVARNABHUMI - BAN 1100 Y -OK K

   As you head down the valley into Paro, marvel at how the wingtips
   *don't* quite touch the mountainsides :-) .
   I recall; we flew in there in 2017. Here's the incoming afternoon
   flight from our room for the [1]first night.
   Note the Tiger's nest directly below it and the several other temples
   and monasteries above.
   Big changes in internal transportation in the last few years. The
   National Highway has almost all been widened. It was mostly under
   construction and just dreadful on our last trip. Small airports have
   been finished in Bumthang and near Trashigang. There are now internal
   small prop-jet flights across the country.
   When we went before, we drove all the way across Bhutan, West to East,
   then down into India, to fly to Bangkok out of Guwahati, which may have
   been your bounce in India. It is now. This year, we will fly back from
   Trashigang to Paro, then from there to Bangkok a couple of days later.
   I'm glad to have done the drive down from highlands to the Indian
   plain, interesting changes in topography, vegetation, temp. and
   humidity, but I don't need to do it again. :-)
   Travelin' Moose

   --
   What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?