Re: [OM] Nocturnal conundrum

Subject: Re: [OM] Nocturnal conundrum
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 21:40:38 -0700
Looking for a headlamp for upcoming trip. Low intensity control seems to be
very important and enough umph to help focus on a foreground.  Light weight is
good though enough battery power to last.
Replaceable batteries may   be a plus if get stuck but AA are too heavy and
most AAA X3 may not perform well enough.

Ah well, yet another place to overthink? ;-)

I have one pet peeve that overrides all other considerations. Most headlamps I've looked at or used have 2-3 brightness levels and perhaps a flashing mode. Many must go through the whole cycle to turn off. So, I'm sitting in peace, but have to press a button really fast to get past the bright, strobe mode with minimal excess light.

The Petzl Tikka Plus 2 I've had for several years also has a cycle - but - after no button press for a few seconds, reverts the button to direct off.

AAA x3 with Nimh has been fine for me. I've read with it for a while, though not for several hours. Plenty bright for my needs on high, generally more useful on low. If I was worried, I just took along another set of batteries. Does have a pretty dim separate red LED. Again, thought out. If in red mode, the button just turns it on and off, no white light, no cycle. They probably don't make that model any more, but their operating logic may have survived.

Through the Night Moose