Re: [OM] OT: Kicking and Screaming

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Kicking and Screaming
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 06:24:14 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     At present, DSL is not available where I live.  19CL is only now putting
in optical fibre in my part of town, so it will be a while before I can make
the jump.  I'm just going to have to live with Breakwind for now.  Hopefully,
DSL will be available here by the end of the year.  I'm not going to consider
cable as I cannot justify the cost.

     Dialup is a low-cost alternative for us bottom feeders.  The only
computers I ever bought new were an Atari 800 over 35 years ago (which probably
still works) and an HP laptop (which lasted less than 3 years).  I now have a
few refurbished Dell Inspiron 6000 laptops, which are built like tanks.
Highest octane I can put in them is Win8.3, but I stick with WinXP and Win7 as
they are stable.

>I am amazed that any company is still offering dialup these days and that
>there are customers for it.
>For DSL, you will get a modem from the service provider, and then you
>connect your computer to it directly, or you connect a wireless router if
>you want wifi in your house (or the DSL modem and wifi access point will
>be one unit—this is what we have, except that our service is FTTH rather
>than DSL).

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson