Re: [OM] Clickity Clack - Revenge of the Keyboards

Subject: Re: [OM] Clickity Clack - Revenge of the Keyboards
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 10:22:44 -0800
> I switched to Dvorak many years ago, and never looked back.

I did try for a bit. But it wasn't as successful as I had hoped it to
be. What happened is that I had trained myself into muscle memory of
certain words. My fingers just automatically type out certain words
without thinking about it at all. So, when I changed to the Dvorak
layout, I was typing gibberish. If I was able to strictly use one
keyboard layout, I would have been fine, but when using other
computers all the time, it was too problematic.

Honestly, I don't think it helped my CTS at all. Oddly enough, my
Microsoft contour keyboard is probably the hardest thing on my wrists
there is. It's strange that an ergonomic keyboard should be a problem.
The biggest problem is the low-profile keys.

After typing up my missive, I did a little more research on the HyperX
that I bought. It's really the king of minimalist keyboards. The
housing slab itself is very thin and the keys stick up and are
floating above the slab. There are no surrounds or gaps around the
keys to lose food crumbs down into. The keys themselves are the OEM
high-rise style with maybe 2-3 mm of rise between each row. One
criticism that reviewers of this keyboard make is that it doesn't come
with a palm rest. There really is no need for it because the keyboard
is so thin the key height above the desk is pretty minimal. I always
prop up the back of the keyboard anyway. The key height is nearly
perfect for my hands. I didn't realize just how good it was at the
store. My home desk has a little slope at the very front where the
heals of my hands are. As a result, my hands are actually lower than
they would be if I was on a flat desk. I really wouldn't want this
keyboard to be any lower.

The noise, though...

AG Schnozz