[OM] IMG: Algerians in Alicante

Subject: [OM] IMG: Algerians in Alicante
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 07:11:22 +0200
Last week two small vignettes really brought home that our nearest neighbour
here in Alicante is North Africa. On Thursday afternoon I was cycling after
work, and I stopped to photograph the sunset sky over the A70 motorway that
bypasses Alicante, including in the picture a sign indicating the distance to
Almería and the ferries to Morocco and Algeria that depart from there—in
Spanish and in Arabic, since many of the drivers who use this motorway to get
to the ferries to cross the Mediterranean are Moroccans and Algerians living in
countries further north, such as France, Belgium or the Netherlands.

Then on Sunday afternoon I was walking around the centre and happened upon this
small demonstration on Plaza Montañeta, one of Alicante’s central squares. The
tone was decidedly celebratory, and I suspected that it had to do with the
recent resignation of longtime president Bouteflika. And indeed, one of the
Algerian bystanders confirmed that. I took a few pictures:

https://www.greatpix.eu/Algerians-in-Alicante/

People were very friendly and someone else asked me if I needed more
information—I politely told him that I had already spoken with one of his
compatriots there.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman