Re: [OM] An appeal to the collective techno wisdom of this

Subject: Re: [OM] An appeal to the collective techno wisdom of this
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 12:04:36 -0700
> From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>> Do you REALLY NEED a wireless keyboard and mouse? USB works good enough,
>> except in certain situations where you move things around a lot.
>
> ... batteries are the bane of our existence. Everything from
> wall clocks

I wind mine every month. I also wind my wristwatch every time I move my arm. It
doubles as a "fit bit" sort of thingy: when my mechanical self-winding watch
stopped running because I wasn't moving enough, I knew it was time to go to the
doctor, who diagnosed pneumonia.

> TV remote controls

What is this "TV" of which you speak? Is that something like YouTube?

> cell-phones

I'm a resister.

> mice, keyboards

Already remarked on those.

> headsets

Now THERE's what I consider a reasonable reason for wireless, and subsequent
batteries! But I think we, as humans, simply lack the restraint to not do silly
things, if they are possible and if you can get the marketing department behind
you.

> vibrators

I have a battery-free digital one. And a battery-free oral one. They both have
sensors and use Artificial Intelligence to instantly respond to feedback,
including "Not tonight; I have a headache." :-)

> plug-in automobiles

Okay. There's another legit use. Most of the rest are just marketing
exuberance. "Hey, this thing that works pretty well and lasts forever, how can
we possibly sell more of them? I know, make it WIRELESS and put AI on the box!"

Surprised you didn't mention digital cameras! That's another legit use of both
wireless and batteries, IMHO.

So maybe I'm just an old fuddy-duddy.

Jan