Re: [OM] IMG: Soft Beauty

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Soft Beauty
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 16:02:14 -0700
On 4/25/2019 2:56 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
So how did you do that??  I tried Focus Magic but it was way too obvious.
Your's looks good.

Thanks!

There are two overall steps, Sharpen the "new" focal plane and soften the
"wrong" focal plane.

There are many ways to soften. I used ON1's old Portrait 10 plug-in, as it does a nice, nuanced job with little fuss. It also sharpens eyes and mouth, but not enough in this case. It's designed for images where the focus is right to start, and is mostly about softening and smoothing skin.

The next step is an old technique (Chuck used to post about it); create a sharpened layer and mask it completely, then paint in the areas that need sharpening, in this case, eyes, brows and mouth, with just a hint on the nose.

Focus Magic did a pretty good job at 4 pixels on the posted JPEG, although that would be different working with the original.

I also tried Topaz' recent Sharpen AI, which did a better job on the lashes in
the left eye, so I went with that.

Masked Moose