Re: [OM] IMG: Some Engine Details

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Some Engine Details
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 10:42:32 -0500
Hi John,

The airplane in the photos is indeed a Douglas DC-3, with a storied history and deeply loved by the skydiver community.  It has been parked at our airport for a number of years following the failure of the left engine.  It is known as Mister Douglas by its fans.

In an effort to get the airplane back in the air, the fans have, for several years, been accepting donations.  In the past couple of years, they have located and purchased two overhauled (zero-time) engines, and are in the process of installing the engines and making other necessary repairs to the airplane.  Since the engines were purchased following overhaul, I must assume they were cleaned using the usual commercial cleaning techniques.

Thanks for your interest.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA