Re: [OM] Public Wifi

Subject: Re: [OM] Public Wifi
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2019 10:37:39 -0700
Chris,

Two things:

1. Get yourself high speed internet at the house. Your life will
improve greatly. If nothing else, get a MiFi from Verizon.

2. Get yourself NordVPN (or equivalent). It's a game changer. You are
trying to survive on just firewalling the bad guys out, but in
reality, you have to completely isolate. The two ways to do that is
with your own private hotspot (MiFi or home system), and a VPN.

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 9:57 AM Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>      At the coffee shop this morning the hacking and intrusions on the wifi
> became so bad that I could barely look at a single email.  News and weather
> were out of the question.  I refreshed my coffee and went home, connecting
> with the dialup to take care of some needed evilBay purchases.
>
>      I'm now at a city recreation centre, one of three that we have.  The
> wifi here works just fine as it is a part of the city's network rather than a
> private commercial connection.  Only thing is I have to disable the proxy
> host which routes through localhost (127.0.0.1), port 8080.  Don't know why
> that it, but it doesn't seem to harm anything.
>
>      It's really nice to have an uninterrupted high-speed connection.  My
> CPU/RAM monitor shows very little activity and no impairment.
>
> Chris
>
> When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
>      - Hunter S. Thompson
> --

Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx