Re: [OM] Public Wifi

Subject: Re: [OM] Public Wifi
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2019 12:44:57 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     A point well taken.  However, the cable provider here is Cox.  After
hearing from some users what they did to billing scares me.  They would change
the accounts from one month to the next, sometimes billing double what the
customer had signed up for.  Then it's a long battle to get it corrected.  And
they don't give you the option of paying by cheque, just direct transfer from a
bank account.

     It may be a while before DSL is available in my neighbourhood.  19CL is
dragging its feet because, like all other phone companies, they want to get out
of the wired/copper business completely and go totally wireless.  It took them
years to replace the broken and missing weatherproof covers on their
above-ground junctions, even while things would go south every time we had a
quarter inch or more of rain.  And it was only in the last five years or so
that they equipped their repair vehicles with field-portable TDRs to track line
line breakages.

     In the meantime, I found a complete QWest DSL modem in a thrift store for
just $7.  The CDROM is still in an unopened sleeve.  I just need to get a set
of the filters, which are dirt cheap on evilBay.

>>     DSL is not available here, and I'm not going to waste money on cable.
>
>That used to be my attitude, too. But then cable got really, really cheap.
>I pay under C$90/month for unlimited North American phone service *and*
>business-grade Internet with one static IP. We paid nearly double that when
>we used POTS and DSL.
>
>What the cable companies *really* want to do is sell you television. If
>you don't do TV (as I do not), you can get the other services fairly cheap,
>thanks to neighbours who are paying up to $300/month for "premium channels"
>and other crap.
>
>Of course, if DSL is not available where you are, that may be why cable is
>expensive. You may find that you're just beyond 11,000 feet from a switch,
>and that others in your area can get DSL, in which case, I'd imagine that
>cable would be competitive.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson