Re: [OM] Pen and pad

Subject: Re: [OM] Pen and pad
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 12:48:15 -0700
Hi Wayne,

I have a Wacom CTE-640 that's about 13 years old. It's also called a
Graphire 4. I don't use it for PS, not having a Windows or Mac machine, but
it works well using various apps on Fedora Linux; usually GIMP for photo
retouching. Active area is 6" high by 8" wide. It's actually my second
Wasom pad, the first being a smaller Graphire model now used occasionally
by my wife.

It came with both a mouse and a pen, and by far, the absolute positioning
relative to the screen is the thing I like best about it. Where you move
the pen is where it's going to act, without the typical
pick-up-and-reposition behavior of a mouse. I'd rate the pen's drag as
being relatively light, but it's present enough that it has never struck me
as too little. The pen tip material seems to me to have been chosen to
provide a decent amount of drag. Can't much comment on the included mouse,
as I've used it so seldom that, to be honest, I'm not sure where it's
stored away at this point. It's served well, though, well enough that I've
never actually considered replacing it.

I've heard of people taping a sheet of paper to the top of their tablet, to
improve the feel, but haven't ever personally tried it.

Hope this helps at least a little. The current generation of tablets from
Wacom are, I am quite sure, much different than my venerable model.

On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 10:56 AM Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks.  I have tried different settings with the mouse in PS, but I hate
> having to constantly change it. When I switch to Visual Studio programming
> or other tasks, especially with dual monitor, a slow mouse becomes nearly
> useless.
>
> I remember how doing CAD work, being able to instantly go from one point
> to another point on the screen without dragging the mouse there was very
> fast. Things were always in the same place relative to the puck.
>
> I'm pretty sure I want a pad. Intuos seems to be what many gravitate
> toward, but the XP-PEN Deco 3 is also looking attractive.
>
> What I don't know is how the pen on the pad feels. I prefer pencils to ink
> pens because I like the drag. There is not much info about that feel. Hence
> looking for other's experiences.
>
> Also I probably prefer a pad without a screen. I'm not a real painter type
> person.
>
> WayneS
>
> At 5/13/2019 10:32 AM, you wrote:
> >Have you tried adjusting your mouse tracking rate (up or down), perhaps
> even a different setting while in PS?
> >
> >I seem to be blessed with very good fine motor control, so have my
> tracking set near the maximum, and that works for me both on the expanse of
> the main screen and while editing. YMMV.
> >
> >Michael
> >
> >On 2019-05-13 1:08 p.m., Wayne Shumaker wrote:
> >>I was wondering if anyone here uses a pen + pad for editing in PS? If
> so, any suggestions? I am finding it very difficult to use the mouse. I get
> so far in a stroke and mouse hits something or goes off the pad. Even using
> it on full desktop is hard for me.
> >>
> >>A number of years ago I had a Wacom (before they had builtin display),
> but never really used it. Even longer ago, while working at DEC (digital
> equipment corp), doing IC CAD editing, I used a puck and pad. It became
> very intuitive after a while.
> >>
> >>Thanks
> >>WayneS
> >
> >--