Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 13/5/2019: a tomato

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 13/5/2019: a tomato
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 12:10:35 -0700
On 5/14/2019 11:06 AM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
Yes. A tomato. A problem with my leg has kept me off the bicycle for a week, so
no mountain landscapes, and I do not walk down to the beach in the morning
either; so I have to make do with I have at home.

Bad for you, good for us. ;-)

On Sunday my wife and I walked the 600 meters to the outdoor market, and
bought, among other things, some tomatoes. Tomatoes here in Spain are just a
joy. There are many different kinds, they taste and smell like tomatoes should,
and the ones we buy at this market are organic, often grown by the people from
whom we buy them, picked by virgins by the light of the full moon (well, maybe
that last bit is over the top).

Shortage of virgins?

So, last night’s dinner of potato-and-cauliflower soup followed by small steaks
with tomatoes sliced and topped with onion and olive oil had this giant tomato as its
centrepiece. I joked to my wife that it must have been grown near the nuclear power
plan in Tarragona. That plant is more than 300 km away, so I doubt it, but it was
certainly one impressive and photogenic tomato:

Do I sense a challenge here? :-)

The Meyer lemon is from the supermarket. We used to have a small tree, well, bush, but it expired. The tomato is also from the market. A wide variety of different shapes and colors of organic heirloom tomatoes are generally available here. This is my favorite. They don't last long, but they sure are tasty. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=23248>

Just for fun:

Olympus E-400
14-54/2.8-3.5, v. 1
Uni-Loc tripod
Whi-Bal to get the colors right.

Here, with a Euro coin (a bit larger than a US quarter) for perspective:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-VbMwpLk/A

And here with a lemon from our own garden, used to season the soup:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-t5cGzGQ/A

Life’s simple pleasures.

Yes, indeed!
(including still life photos.)

I'm now off to make a sandwich including a thick slice of the same variety of
tomato. Chicken salad, I think.

Stop Motion Moose