Re: [OM] Pen and pad

Subject: Re: [OM] Pen and pad
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 17:45:58 -0800
Wayne wrote:
> Just an update. I looked at the Bamboo Tip Pen on Amazon and saw a lot of
> negative reviews about the pen not working on battery. I purchased one on B&H
> and tried charging it from two different sources and two different USB
> cables. It would not work on battery. I would work while plugged in to USB.
>
> Given the high number of bad reviews with the same issue, I would suggest NOT
> getting the Bamboo Tip Pen. I am often skeptical when people write negative
> reviews as often it is pilot error. But I think Wacom has a quality issue and
> charges double for their products because of their name.

(I communicated off-list to Wayne, but I'll respond here too).

It is possible that the battery/electronics in the Bamboo Tip were
defective. However, I thought mine was defective too. The instructions
were oblique enough that it wasn't entirely clear how to turn it on
CORRECTLY. I had to go visit the "University of Google" to find out
how to actually do it where it worked correctly. Once I did, the
defective battery suddenly wasn't so defective. But what was also
frustrating was that many comments and recommendatons in forums and so
forth on the Bamboo Tip were also incorrect. I had to try multiple
instructions and "reading between the lines" before realizing how it
worked.

Another issue (one that Moose probably encountered) is that there are
not two versions of touch screens used on Windows laptops, but no less
than four. The Bamboo Tip works correctly and naturally with the
technologies used in both touch-screen versions of Windows Surface
devices and supports some of the legacy touch-screen types. There is
an easy to flip switch on the Bamboo Tip that instantly changes the
stylus to support either of the newer screen types. This switch will
improve functionality with some of the legacy screen types. If it
doesn't work with one settings, flip the switch and try again.

Through it all, I discovered that it works peachy with one of my
Lenovo Yogas, but only on part of the screen of the other.

I believe that a Microsoft Surface, with full-featured stylus, is
probably the best setup on the market right now.

Oh, as to the battery in my Bamboo Tip, I just put it on the charger
for the first time in a month. It's just the second time since
purchasing it. I'm having absolutely no issue with battery life once I
figured out how to operate it.

AG Schnozz