Re: [OM] Pen and pad

Subject: Re: [OM] Pen and pad
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 20:21:12 -0700
Just to repeat offline comment:

I could turn the Pen On and Off just fine, with the LED blinking twice green
for On ...
BUT that was only if connected to power via USB. After 3 hours of charging
on two known good chargers (my cell works fine on both of them) it would not
power On with battery only.

When powered via USB attached, it worked fine with my Lenovo Yoga.
It just will not power on without external power. Hence dead battery.

I'm pretty thorough when it comes to debugging hardware. What I suspect
is that, the document says the pen will hold a charge, when not in use, for
some? amount of time. I thought it was Weird it had such a short life when
Off. Often rechargeable batteries when discharged fully will reverse bias the
cells that discharge first, thereby killing the battery. If you are lucky enough
to get a Pen with balanced cells, it will not damage and be fine.

Given how long it probably was on the shelf, the battery was already toasted
unless you got one of the lucky ones.

I design circuits that have to function on a battery for 2 years, so for the
Pen to discharge, when not in use, means a bad designer or firmware
engineer. If it were my design, it would drain maybe 10-20uA, if I did
a bad job, which for say a 500mAH battery would be 25000 hours.
OK 100mAH battery with my bad design of 20uA:
5000 hours = 208 days. Then Pen should be holding a good charge
for a long time when powered off.

I don't recall the exact time now, and the manual download from the
site is not working for that document. I get a download error

https://wcm-cdn.azureedge.net/-/media/files/downloads/product%20support/qsgs/onyx_qsg_web_170823.pdf

Maybe I'm wrong?

WayneS