Re: [OM] OT: Interesting Aviation News

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Interesting Aviation News
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2019 06:43:07 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     When I was stationed at Dyess AFB, the SAC units there had KC-135s and the
really old B-52Ds, which were retired decades ago.  Those B-52Ds saw action in
Viet Nam, where they were fitted with bomb pylons between the inboard engines
and the fuselage.  When those planes were on the ground, the skin on the
fuselage was wrinkled, and one of them on the alert ramp ruptured a fuel tank
with unarmed nukes on board.  It became a Broken Arrow incident.

     I got to watch one of these make a landing with a wingtip wheel stuck in
the up position.  They raced a flatbed truck down the runway to catch the
wingtip.  Really scary for the truck driver.

>I remember the old KC-135s, Chris.  They would lift from Fairford and
>just be passing 1,000ft as they went feet wet, heading east.  A slight
>exaggeration, I know, but there were NOTAMS out for their movements.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson