Re: [OM] UV and Skylight Filters

Subject: Re: [OM] UV and Skylight Filters
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 06:07:15 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     That's a good point.  I recall a few images from a couple of years ago
where a snowscape had a slight blue tint to the snow due to the reflection of
the sky.  Our eyes do not see this as we correct for that, but the camera might
 not.  With film you needed to be well aware of this so as not to ruin images,
but some of these digital cameras with their internal colour temperature
balancing may or may not.

     This takes me back to my disappointments with the use of Wratten filters
while taking B&W images in non-RAW formats.  They had no effect as the camera
was correcting the colour temperature before doing the B&W conversion.  One of
my projects for this year is to redo my experimentation, this time using RAW
format so as to shut off the processing.

     For now, I'm predisposed to replacing my UV filters with Skylight 1A.
Don't have much need for 1B filters here as the sky rarely gets saturated
enough to need that amount of correction.

>Probably worth doing if you're in an area experiencing high UV.  Most
>sensors will render the UV that gets through your lens as blue which will
>make the scene a bit difficult to colour balance properly.  How do you
>separate the real blues from the UV false blues ?

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson