Re: [OM] Pretty tripod

Subject: Re: [OM] Pretty tripod
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 10:58:21 -0700
On 5/24/2019 6:36 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 5/24/2019 12:26 AM, Moose wrote:
On 5/23/2019 9:46 PM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
The quick to deploy is great for a level surface, but most of the time I use
mine for macro, I'm close to the ground, on uneven ground, have to let one leg
stick way out with the other legs at odd heights, avoiding weeds, not
disturbing the subject, .... Often the subject is in a bush, other things
around, you can't just pop the legs out and set it down. With the Gitzo I can
loosen one section with just enough friction to adjust and stay there before I
tighten it all down. Very rare do I just extend the legs all the way and take a
shot, unless it is a group portrait with me in it.

Hence most of my tripod work is macro, requiring focus stacking and odd
positions. For example, you cannot see what I had to do to get the tripod in
the correct position, but I doubt I could do with the PD.

https://tinyurl.com/y3gzbtj9
Nice!

For me, this would be a no tripod shot. Combined OIS and IBIS working together,
the camera does the stacking very quickly and the PS or other stacking software
aligns the slightly moved frames before blending.

I used to do a lot of tripod for macro work; now hardly any, well, basically
none. I do use the macro stand on my desk.

Two Leg Moose
I tried handheld, but I could not easily get this shot angle as my knees would
be well spiked. I have done a lot of handheld stacking but when my posture is
shaky, the focus point is wobbling back and forth.

This was a stack of 3. In Photoshop I am having a terrible time stacking with
cactus spines. The cactus spines that are not in the plane of focus often get a
fuzzy tip. A lot of post editing of the stacking masks to fix up. To the point
I have started considering alternatives.

  From what I have read online, helicon is considered one of the better ones.

Ctein was just touting it to me, as a big improvement on PS, if not perfect.

Again, many of my stacks are handheld, but often I'm not steady or agile enough.

Clarity? I not uncommonly do hand held stacks of 3-4 frames, individually focused by me. OTOH, recent Oly and Panny bodies will do stacks of 20-30 (or more) in a couple of seconds.

When you say hand held, to which sort do you refer? I find I can hold the short, auto sort in places situations where I couldn't do the slow sort.

Tilt or fully articulated screens are also my friends for low angle.

Tripod can be helpful, when the angle required is a difficult position to hold,
or I don't want to be smashing the environment and the subject.

YesBut, I have to carry the darn thing!

Stacking Moose