Re: [OM] Pretty tripod

Subject: Re: [OM] Pretty tripod
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 11:49:46 -0700
At 5/24/2019 10:58 AM, you wrote:
>On 5/24/2019 6:36 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:

>>>Nice!
>>>
>>>For me, this would be a no tripod shot. Combined OIS and IBIS working
>>>together, the camera does the stacking very quickly and the PS or other
>>>stacking software aligns the slightly moved frames before blending.
>>>
>>>I used to do a lot of tripod for macro work; now hardly any, well, basically
>>>none. I do use the macro stand on my desk.
>>>
>>>Two Leg Moose
>>I tried handheld, but I could not easily get this shot angle as my knees
>>would be well spiked. I have done a lot of handheld stacking but when my
>>posture is shaky, the focus point is wobbling back and forth.
>>
>>This was a stack of 3. In Photoshop I am having a terrible time stacking with
>>cactus spines. The cactus spines that are not in the plane of focus often get
>>a fuzzy tip. A lot of post editing of the stacking masks to fix up. To the
>>point I have started considering alternatives.
>>
>>  From what I have read online, helicon is considered one of the better ones.
>
>Ctein was just touting it to me, as a big improvement on PS, if not perfect.

good to know, thanks. I will get the trial and run the stack that fails
miserably in PS.

>>Again, many of my stacks are handheld, but often I'm not steady or agile
>>enough.
>
>Clarity? I not uncommonly do hand held stacks of 3-4 frames, individually
>focused by me. OTOH, recent Oly and Panny bodies will do stacks of 20-30 (or
>more) in a couple of seconds.
>
>When you say hand held, to which sort do you refer? I find I can hold the
>short, auto sort in places situations where I couldn't do the slow sort.
>
>Tilt or fully articulated screens are also my friends for low angle.

Often I am in evening light, walking within a mile or two of my house, and only
sometimes bring my Gitzo with me. Unfortunately the focus stacking is not a
feature of the Sony Alphas, so I'm usually no more than 4 in a stack. If the
camera did the work, it would make the tripod a luxury, but I'm in the slow
boat, often focusing by moving when handheld.

The low light and motion blur are another reason to have the tripod.

>>Tripod can be helpful, when the angle required is a difficult position to
>>hold, or I don't want to be smashing the environment and the subject.
>
>YesBut, I have to carry the darn thing!

yep

>Stacking Moose

WayneS