[OM] Scottish etiquette

Subject: [OM] Scottish etiquette
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 13:02:35 -0700
Piers, A couple questions for you...

--We eat in a lot of pubs and small cafes and notice that they tend not to bring the bill around after we are obviously finished. So we just go up to the bar and pay. Is this OK? Or do you signal or what? We don't mind laid back but don't want to callously occupy seats that could be generating more revenue. Not like there is a queue usually :)

--Tipping. Nobody seems to do it. Pubs/cafes, We've been generally doing 10% cash rather than writing on the card. Most servers seem pleasantly surprised so I guess that they've at least heard of the custom. One of the nicer places had the option to write in 5%, 10% or 15%  You'd risk getting that thrown back in your face at home. How about taxis?

Thanks for the comments in the list. Will post more photos when able. You know where. Haven't been able to here in the Hebrides. Had a couple of driech days on Harris/Lewis but it has been absolutely gorgeous lately. Scotland is a wonderfully beautiful country and friendly people. Went to the small Eriskay Community Hall for music last night  A Scottish band,  Daimh. A special treat as a couple band members are from S. Uist , much of it in Gaelic. Especially moving encore song with the whole audience less two singing along in Gaelic.

Thanks,

Mike & Robin
Polochar Inn, South Uist