Re: [OM] Teeth [was: Nathan's PAD 30/5/2019: a lunch at Hostal Maruja]

Subject: Re: [OM] Teeth [was: Nathan's PAD 30/5/2019: a lunch at Hostal Maruja]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2019 11:57:23 -0700
> From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
>
> … think of pulling the tooth as extending your life span

I agree.

I had a "useless tooth" that was above where another tooth had been, way in the
back. I had my wisdom teeth out long ago, but that left an exposed root on the
back of the teeth just in front that was difficult to keep clean.

This one was the last remaining, and I spent a lot of time trying to keep the
root clean with various OTC dental tools. If I went on a trip and forgot my
dentrifice, it would get inflamed and sore.

Seemingly unrelated, I had been having almost constant heartburn, by blood
pressure was going up, and I had other symptoms of systemic inflammation, and
some minor (but unexplained) chest pain. I was feeling 20 years over my age!

So I got that tooth pulled. The heartburn went away, the blood pressure went
down to normal, I just passed a treadmill stress test with flying colours, and
just ran a triple-marathon. (No, I made that last part up. But I did chip slash
wood for six hours yesterday, and my BP was 120/76 afterward. :-)

I did some other things to reduce blood pressure: swapped constant coffee for
green tea, cut alcohol to once a week, and stopped sugary snacks between meals.
(Still enjoy an occasional desert after a meal.) But I do attribute getting
that tooth gone for a lot of my comeback!

So I'd say if it's an essential tooth and easy to keep clean, maybe try to keep
it. I have another that is easily cared for with a root canal and crown that's
going on 20 years now. But if the root is deeply exposed and hard to keep
clean, get rid of it.

Jan