Re: [OM] more stones

Subject: Re: [OM] more stones
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 00:06:40 -0700
Wayne, I am always impressed by the skill of the dry stonework in these cleared villages. They are called 'black houses'. The remains can be seen all over the highlands. The ends are rounded but the inside corners are typically square and plumb. Windows flared inward to let in light. Amazing especially considering that the inhabitants lived in extreme poverty. More photos to process when we get home.

I was told that Crackaig, the village in the photo linked was not cleared by the laird in this case but rather by typhoid.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackhouse>

Ashtree Hotel, Paisley

...Here in AZ I look for days with a natural light diffuser. Very inviting
photo.
I'm always impressed with rock walls, after repairing several in New England. I
can appreciate the layering, staggering, shimming, and thought that goes into
it. Just sorting through a pile of rocks to pick the right one. Making a wall
that lasts for centuries. Mine, maybe a decade before it falls apart. Of course
it helps to have a lot of rectangular shaped rocks to work with. And then
lifting the bigger ones up, ughh.

WayneS