Re: [OM] OM-D E-M1X

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D E-M1X
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 14:07:50 -0700
On 6/13/2019 8:41 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
I’ve always been puzzled by the retail rules in the USA.  You can buy something but return it if you
don’t like it – not because it’s u/s or not as described but because you have decided that
you don’t fancy it.

Yup. I just completed a return to Adorama and then took a survey about their returns policy and performance. First option on the "Why return" question was "Changed my mind."

It must cost someone a lot of money for people to be allowed to do that.

Pre Amazon - - -
=========================
On-line retailers (and before that, mail-order) know they have a disadvantage compared to local stores, where one may try out/play with gear before buying. OTOH, they have cost advantages and perhaps buying power advantages. So they simply build the cost of a friendly return policy into their margins. ALL retailers have a difference between starting gross and final gross. One component of that is mark-downs/promotions, another is shrinkage (breakage, theft, and so on, endlessly). Cost of returns is just another one.

Note that big shippers pay for their mass business nothing like what you or I
pay for single package shipping.

Post Amazon, and esp. today - - -
=========================
One reason Amazon seems likely to rule the world is that they never stop
finding ways to improve service and decrease costs.

Recently had to return a lens adapter that was the wrong length. I ordered another, different brand, - OK, then did the return. I was offered several options, all free:

-Print a UPS label and drop the package off.

-Drop the item off at a UPS location, no packing or label required.

-UPS comes and picks up unpackaged, unlabeled item, but, an adult must be
present.

-Was there another option? I don't recall.

So, I took it to a UPS store. Guy took it, gave me a receipt when I asked; I was in there less than a minute. I received my refund within about an hour of dropping it off.

Do you see what's going on here? Amazon is making returns even less painful for me AND, AND, reducing their costs. Obviously, the UPS store is putting all the returns in one combined package for shipping, and Amazon is paying less per than before, likely a lot less. (Why would UPS do this? FedEx, DHL, etc.)

So, what are other on-line stores to do? Make their returns policies and procedures any less attractive than they must, compared to Amazon? R.I.P.

My Adorama return, of a $409 used lens, was as painless as anyone other than Amazon. Print a free shipping label and a page to include in the package, Package it up well, stick on the label and drop it off at a UPS point.

Then wait several days for ground shipping across the US, and get a refund, less a $5 restocking fee. Perfectly acceptable, but not a patch on Amazon.

The competition is such that no one can afford NOT to have liberal returns.

Ex Retailer Moose