Re: [OM] Dash Cam Apps

Subject: Re: [OM] Dash Cam Apps
From: <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 06:54:23 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Helmet cam, no.  Those are terribly expensive.  I spent most of yesterday
afternoon looking at various options.  I did not find a cell phone camera app
that provides loop recording, but when I widened my search I came across a
number of dashcam apps that did something similar, where they record for five
minutes or so, then start a new file.  After so many files they overwrite the
first file, etc., which is somewhat more efficient than looping.  I found what
seems to be a fairly nice one called DailyRoads Voyager.  It includes time
stamps and geolocation in the recordings.  Since I already use an obsolete 3G
cell phone for cycling apps, I'm going to add that.  It works with Android 4.1
and higher, so it's a good fit.

     I took this path as I saw little sense in spending a lot of money for a
cycling accessory that did little more than duplicate the camera and GPS that I
already have in the phone.  And I already have a few all-metal handlebar mounts
for it.

     Yes on the vision issues.  That's why they teach you early in flying to
NOT fixate, but instead scan from side to side as well as up and down.  I seem
to have more rods than average in my eyes as I have a high night acuity and no
blind spot.

>I’m very glad that you’re OK, Chris.  What about a helmet cam?
>
>It’s a known phenomenon, Chris: your high acuity vision works only with a
>stable image and since it is only 2 degrees wide (approx) you have to move
>it to the right place and dwell there to see a small object like an
>approaching bike.
>
>If you merely sweep your eyes around the scene your vision will perform
>"saccadic jumps” and you’re likely to miss small objects unless there is
>relative movement.  And if you’re on a collision course, you’ll remember
>from your flying days, there is no relative movement.
>
>Our vision is deeply flawed and we need to use it with great care and
>deliberation, flying or driving . . .
>

>>     Yesterday morning I had my first collision with a car, after more
>>than 61 years of cycling, when an SUV pulled out of an office parking
>>area without stopping or looking.  Fortunately, neither the bike nor I
>>was damaged.  I got the usual "I didn't see you" excuse along with some
>>unbelievable verbage about not being able to make a turn without
>>stopping.  Yeah.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson