Re: [OM] Of Alaska, Photography, and Work

Subject: Re: [OM] Of Alaska, Photography, and Work
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 09:28:57 -0500
Here's wishing you the best of luck, Ken.  Sort of reminds me of the last half of 1966, when I took a job in Florida.  We survived it, so will you.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 6/25/2019 11:33 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
It's been a wild ride the past couple of weeks. My new contracting job
got shut down after three months and I was give a one day notice.
Ouch! Absolutely no fault of my own. They failed the honor the one
year commitment.

It's been a mad scramble, but it looks like we have a plan in place.
As soon as the paperwork gets processed, I'll start working as a
contractor for the company I left three months ago. My old boss (why I
left) was fired several weeks later. I've got unfinished business--a
project that is one to tell the grandkids about. But it's for one
year. My goal is to either get hired for a certain senior engineer
position in their strategic planning organization, or to leave. In the
meantime, we'll be working on certain preparations for me to go back
to work full-time for the company I just worked for in another
high-level position. So, if I get offered the senior engineer
position, we stay in Alaska for the foreseeable future. If not, then
we will likely be moving in a year. Possibly to the DC area.

Another option is to spend a year or two overseas for some super crazy
money. Super CRAZY money.

Regardless, we're looking at what may be our final year in Alaska. The
thought of leaving makes me sick to my stomach. We absolutely love it
here. But the opportunities for career growth are limited. I'll be
working on my options and will try to have something nailed down in
about nine months.

With this understanding in mind, I'm going to redouble on the
photography and put true effort into making some art, instead of just
spraying and praying. I have shot ONE roll of film since being here.
The photographic opportunities have been so intense that I couldn't
take the time to shoot/process/scan anything. But I need to.

But at the same time, with the increase in hiking and climbing, I'm
really feeling the need for something small and lightweight. Maybe
something Micro Four-Thirdsish. Who knows. We just have to make it
past the next month before spending ANY money.

AK Schnozz