Re: [OM] L'Alaska établit un nouveau record de température historique à

Subject: Re: [OM] L'Alaska établit un nouveau record de température historique à 32,2 °C - Le Point
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2019 14:33:25 -0800
I think many Alaskans are OK with some global warming, but this is a bit crazy.

However, up in Fairbanks, this is quite common. The interior gets the
greatest temperature swings in the state. Anchorage is on the Cook
Inlet and is greatly tempered by the ocean waters. Normally, the highs
this time of year are in the low 70s.

In all fairness, the official temperature records for Anchorage don't
date back all that far. Until the railroad was built, Anchorage didn't
really exist. And where the airport is, the temperatures are heavily
influenced by the water. We can easily get 10-15 degree swings across
the city depending on the winds and altitude. There are subdivisions
up to around 2500' altitude. "Hillside" is very different than two
miles to the west. Eagle River is very different than the Anchorage
Bowl. (our house is typically 5-10 degrees cooler than in the bowl in
winter).

We actually live just a couple hundred meters away from the historic
Iditarod trail. (it was extremely hazardous in this area because of
avalanches)

AK Schnozz

AG