[OM] 240 MP? {was Any interest/comments concerning tiny Siggie FP Full f

Subject: [OM] 240 MP? {was Any interest/comments concerning tiny Siggie FP Full frame mirrorless?]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 21:45:20 -0700
DNI Moose writes:

<<<* Don't need a Sony A7R IV, either. :-)

What, you don't need 240 megapickle shots with 16 image pixel shift?

I suspect not. :-) The original A7 is sufficient to my needs for FF. I only use FF to take advantage of the many optical "failings" of old MF lenses, LenBabies, etc. Crop sensor cameras throw away some of the best parts of their image circles. ;-) Working with MF lenses, mostly on tripods, and certainly never shooting action, most of the improvements of later models wouldn't affect me at all. Working with optically far from perfect lenses, higher MPickles are meaningless.

Higher res EVF

Fortunately, I am highly (E)VF agnostic. Accurate framing, focus assist
sparklies and magnified view are all I really need.

and sensor might be nice.

I'm starting to feel sufficiency @ 20 MP, for most uses. I'm mostly shooting 3D subjects, with excellent, but not perfect, lenses, excellent, but not perfect IS, and with subject movement and atmospheric effects constant limitations. Advantages shooting resolution targets in controlled conditions tend to be overwhelmed by variables in the field.

This really came home to me a few years ago, when I shot a complex, 3D subject with both E-M5 and GX7. What I thought in the field were differences in resolution or IS or ??? turned out, on close inspection, to be slight differences in the focal plane chosen by different AF systems. And - neither one was in any quantifiable way, "better" focused.

Focus Bracketing would have solved the problem, as the subject was actually
static, but that didn't exist yet.

So . . . with tripod and static subject, HR mode rocks for fine detail. In fact, an HR shot downsampled to native rez has clearer, better detail than the native shot. But out in the wilds, not so much.

And what am I going to so with the image files? I make web images and books. I have plenty of resolution for those uses. I also have Ctein's $20 demo print of what the Olympus Pen E-P1 and the Zuiko 45mm ƒ/1.8 lens can do with 12MP on a small sensor. It's a spectacularly clear, sharp 17x22" (paper size) print. I also have a 17x22" (image area) print from his Como Park Conservatory IR series. Taken IIRC, with the same camera converted to IR. It's simply gorgeous. What I have is quite capable of large prints.

Sure, I often make big crops, but I find that most of the limitations I run into are from factors other than sensor resolution alone. So sure, when the E-M5 IV or GX11 comes along, with 24 or 30 MP, I'll probably bite, but won't expect miraculous improvements in my results.

Amazing that there still is no lossless compressed raw with those huge files.
Suspect star eater issue is unchanged but too soon to know for sure.

I think I'm cured from that being a problem, at least for now.

D. Pickle Moose