Re: [OM] IMG: V. with phone

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: V. with phone
From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 19:16:25 -0700
Thanks, Moose.  Confusalated?  Never fear, I will edumacate you.  :-)

Leica M cameras and lenses have no chips and electrodes to tell the camera who
the lens is. Newer lenses have a 6-bit code of black and white dots on the
mount that are read by an IR sensor. If you are using a non-Leica lens, many
people set the camera in-menu to the Leica lens whose in-camera corrections
most closely match the lens you are using. In some cases (including mine), the
lens has a recessed area where the user can paint on the codes him or herself.
According to several reviewers, the best code for this lens is the 50 Summilux
ASPH. So that's what I painted on.

I could have also used the code for the 50/1.2 Nocutilux. That would have
allowed the EXIF data to show apertures of f/1.2, but at the price of a slight
magenta shift in the corners. I don't care about that, because, the EXIF
aperture value is just an estimate based on comparing the the light coming
through the lens with the light seen by a sensor on the camera body. It's often
close, but not always.

Actual aperture was f/4.

--Peter