Re: [OM] IMG: V. with phone

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: V. with phone
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 07:39:41 -0700
> From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Leica M cameras and lenses have no chips and electrodes to tell the camera
> who the lens is. Newer lenses have a 6-bit code of black and white dots on
> the mount that are read by an IR sensor.

Fascinating!

I shoot a lot of non-native glass, and even though the OM-D E-M1.2 allows you
to pre-enter lens EXIF data that you can later select via menu, there's only
ten menu slots, which you quickly use up if you have both speed boosters and
teleconverters, and it is tedious and error-prone to enter new data by
selecting each character via the arrow keys.

If you go out with two lenses, a focal reducer, and 1.4x and 2.0x
teleconverters, you've used up almost all the slots. And if you name a lens
slightly differently ("Hmmm... did I call that 'OMZ' or 'Olympus OM' or... and
did that telecon have a space before the '1.4x' or was it no space and
'x1.4?'") then you can't search in your DAM for all the shots taken with the
same combo. So I'd LOVE the ability to paint little dots on lenses and have
EXIF data automagically!

I imagine Leica has a patent on this, and thugs in brown shirts will soon come
for a visit, and take away your paint brushes. :-) Or at least, void your
warranty.

Jan