Re: [OM] Of Alaska, Photography, and Work

Subject: Re: [OM] Of Alaska, Photography, and Work
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 12:23:42 -0800
JoelW wrote:
> Have to say I came back on list primarily to see what's up with you.  I
> think this is what I was looking for.  Not what I was wishing for
> necessarily, but life signs of the Schnozz at any rate.

Welcome back to the zoo(ko).

I started another contract last week. Not quite as lucrative as the
last one, but still a step forward. I'm actually working with my old
team but in a slightly altered (improved) roll. Tons of exciting
details I'll spare you of. However, it does involve more travel across
the state. I should be able to get to Prudhoe Bay again this year. In
a couple of weeks, I'll be over in Valdez again. But before I can get
my badges back, I had to go do a "rainbow test" again. (and hair test
too). Those who can pass those tests are in high demand. This contract
is through the end of the year. 50/50 on extension. I think I'll get
an extension if I want it. Regardless, I'll start the process of
seeing what I can score elsewhere pretty soon. We wouldn't mind
snow-birding it. Alternatively, I may pursue flying licenses and start
a new career as a commercial bush pilot up here.  (seriously, no
joke).

I had an opportunity to move to Baltimore.  Let's see... Anchorage vs.
Baltimore.  Really, really hard decision that.  Long term, who knows,
but when you are sitting out on your deck watching an eagle fly
overhead, the mountainscape before you coming into bloom, and the
sound of the river, it's hard to think about abandoning that for
cramped condo in Baltimore. If they would have asked me back in
February, the answer might have been different.

So, we're still here in the visual insanity that is Alaska. We had
another Zuikoholic come through here last month, but we weren't able
to get together. The desire to hit the high points in Alaska means
that if you have less than, say, 92 months for a trip, you'll be
rushing around visiting all the famous spots and missing out on all
the low-hanging fruit within minutes of Anchorage. SERIOUS low-hanging
fruit.

Literally, within 20 minutes drive of our house, I can be at multiple
trailheads which take you deep into the wilderness with full
unadulterated photographic opportunities. Mountains everywhere!
BEAUTIFUL mountains everywhere. Not just hills. Not just pretend
mountains, but full-blown mile high peaks (from base to top). Whatever
type of hiking or photography you want, we have it right here. I don't
think there is another city in the world with as much opportunity for
outdoor activities and photography as Anchorage. The Chugach Mountains
are unreal. And we can see a glacier right from our house. The
quantity of trails (everything from paved bicycle trails to technical
mountain climbing) is unheard of. And it isn't just quantity, it's
also quality. These are world-class trails and views.

So, I wanted to ask you if you'd be up for an Alaskan Zuikofest? The
Schnozz-BnB is open for business. We have an awesome place to have
visitors stay with us. (two decks, forest and mountain views, bears).
I would totally recommend September. The color change is mind-boggling
with the mountain tundra going berzerk. It's the U.P. on 'shrooms.

And if we really want to experience the insanity, we'll get up in an airplane.

AK Schnozz